The N95 respirator is a type of particle filtering mask that meets the NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) N95 standard. The N designation means that it does not filter oil, and 95, which filters up to 95% of airborne particles, is an example of a mechanical filter respirator, which provides protection against particles, but not gases or vapours.
The N95 mask/mouthpiece requires a fine mesh of synthetic polymer fibres, also known as non-woven polypropylene fabric, which is produced through a highly specialized process called melt blowing which forms the internal filtration layer that filters out hazardous particles.
They are often used in work environments where harmful and mutagenic particles are present, such as in metallurgy, garbage collection and construction.
There are also some models that are FDA-approved as medical devices. It is used to prevent the spread of pathological agents such as tuberculosis, SARS and coronavirus.
This is the top rated selected item of other clients buying items related to n95. For more options, look at our full selection of N95 or use the search box.
Table of Contents
- 1 Popular products:
- 2 N95 Certification and equivalents
- 3 Best N95 Reviews
- 4 How to use
- 5 Buy N95 Online
- 5.1 SuppyAID RRS-KN95-5PK KN95 Protective Mask, Protection Against PM2.5 Dust. Pollen and Haze-Proof, 5 Pack
- 5.2 COVAFLU KN95 Disposable Fold Flat Face Mask (Pack of 10 KN95 Face Masks)
- 5.3 3M 8511 Respirator, N95, Cool Flow Valve (10-Pack)
- 5.4 50 Pcs KN95 Personal Disposable mask Respiratory Face Protection, Healthy Protector/Filter Against Dusts, Allergens, Fog Haze, Splattering Liquids, Anti-Odor
- 5.5 Powecom KN95 Face Mask Reusable, Disposable Masks on FDA EUA List, Protection for Dust Pollen, 10 Pack
- 5.6 Disposable KN95 Face Masks, Non-Woven 5-Layer Disposable Mask, Elastic Ear Loops, Adjustable Nose Wire, Light Weight, Perfect for Office, 5 Units/Bag
- 5.7 Bio-th 5 Ply Protective Face Mask, 5 Layers Cup Dust Safety Masks Pack of 20
- 5.8 NIOSH Certified Makrite 9500-N95 Pre-Formed Cone Particulate Respirator Mask, M/L Size (Case of 240 Masks)
- 5.9 Face Mask, Pack of 50
- 5.10 KN95 5-Ply Face Mask with Elastic Ear Loop, Individually packed in Poly bag, Adult, 5 Count
- 6 Its use in various industries
N95 Certification and equivalents
N95 respirators must meet performance standards established by NIOSH such as filter efficiency (evaluated to measure the reduction in concentrations of specific aerosols in the air passing through the filter), test agent (the aerosol that is generated during the filter performance test), flow rate, inhalation resistance and exhalation resistance.
The following facemasks/mouthpieces are considered functionally equivalent to certain regulated masks/mouthpieces under non-U.S. jurisdictions:
- N95 (Mexico NOM-116-STPS-2009).
- FFP2 (Europe EN 149-2001).
- KN95 (China GB2626-2006).
- P2 (Australia/New Zealand AS/NZA 1716:2012).
- Korea 1st class (Korea KMOEL – 2017-64).
- DS (Japan JMHLW-Notification 214, 2018).
However, slightly different criteria are used to certify their performance, a notable point of comparison being the flows specified by these standards for inhalation and exhalation resistance tests. Inhalation resistance test flow rates vary from 40 to 160 L/min. Exhalation resistance test flow rates vary from 30 to 95 L/min.
Best N95 ReviewsSelected reviews, tips and more info:
How to use
Just as no two faces are the same, more than 20 N95 mask models have been created to provide a perfect fit and seal for each user.
They can be without valve or with valve, which is used to reduce the sensation of suffocation. They may be foldable or rigid, the former being better for easier storage.
Fitting and sealing test
Fit and seal testing is a critical part of a respiratory protection program when workers wear tight-fitting masks. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires an initial fit test of the mask to identify the proper model, style, and size for each worker. In addition, tight-fitting facemasks/mask covers require verification of the wearer’s seal each time one is put on.
They are compatible with a variety of safety glasses and hearing protection. They should include an adjustable nose clip that reduces the fogging that occurs when wearing safety glasses and helps ensure an improved seal and fit. Two band design and dual attachment point provides a secure fit.
It is easy to use due to its ergonomic shape, which fits the face.
It is taken from the outside (the ambient side) without touching the inside of the mask/mouthpiece (the user’s side).
It is placed on the face, ensuring that it covers the nose, mouth and chin.
The elastic bands on the back of the neck and skull are adjusted.
The nose clip is adjusted with both hands at the same time, to prevent leakage, to the shape of the nose.
Reusability in times of shortage
The N95 facemasks/mouthpieces are designed as single-use devices, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends up to 8 hours of continuous use, however when they are worn out, various strategies for reuse have also been described.
This method involves purchasing a certain number of N95 masks/mouthpieces (the American College of Surgeons recommends up to 7) and rotating their use each day, which allows them to dry out long enough that the virus is no longer viable. According to Dr Peter Tsai, the inventor of the filtering media contained in the N95, “The polypropylene in the N95 mask/mouthpiece is hydrophobic and contains no moisture. COVID-19 needs a host to survive: it can survive on a metal surface for up to 48 hours, on plastic for 72 hours and on cardboard for 24 hours. When the mask/mouthpiece is dry in 3-4 days, the virus will not have survived.
Buy N95 Online
SuppyAID RRS-KN95-5PK KN95 Protective Mask, Protection Against PM2.5 Dust. Pollen and Haze-Proof, 5 Pack
- 5-MASKS: Each package contains (5) SupplyAID KN95 Masks.
- DAILY USE: Suitable for adults’ daily travel protection, not suitable for toxic gas environment use.
- CORRECT USE: Please use mask correctly to avoid serious consequences caused by improper use.
- DISPOSABLE: Masks are disposable and cannot be washed.
- STORAGE: Store in a dry and ventilated location 23ºF – 122ºF (-5ºC – 50ºC, relative humidity<80%).
- IMPORTANT SAFETY DETAILS: This protective mask cannot generate oxygen and should not be used in hypoxic environments. Not intended as a replacement for gas masks and medical masks. Not for use if breathing is impeded or unsteady, or during sleep.
COVAFLU KN95 Disposable Fold Flat Face Mask (Pack of 10 KN95 Face Masks)
- COVAFLU KN95 Face Mask with 95% particle protection. COVAFLU was created in 2007 by Clinova, a British consumer healthcare company. COVAFLU Face Masks are made in a fully traceable supply chain.
- These masks are for personal use in a variety of settings such as home, outdoors and work.
- Individually wrapped masks for hygiene, and made out of a soft flexible material with comfortable elastic earloops to secure against the face.
- 4-ply material made with 100% polypropelyne fabric.
- Disclaimer: This KN95 mask is NOT an N95 mask. For more information about KN95 masks please see the following before you purchase: amazon.com/AboutKN95s
3M 8511 Respirator, N95, Cool Flow Valve (10-Pack)
- Niosh approved N95 for at least 95 percent filtration efficiency against certain non oil based particles and aerosols
- 3M cool flow valve helps reduce heat build up inside the respirator
- Breathe 30 percentage easier compared to 3M 8200, breathe easier is defined as initial pressure drop
- ADJUSTABLE M NOSECLIP helps ensure a custom, secure seal with fewer pressure points
- STRETCHABLE, BRAIDED HEADBANDS for comfort
- LIGHTWEIGHT DESIGN for comfort
50 Pcs KN95 Personal Disposable mask Respiratory Face Protection, Healthy Protector/Filter Against Dusts, Allergens, Fog Haze, Splattering Liquids, Anti-Odor
- LAYER CONSTRUCTION: This mask is soft to the touch and the NON-WOVEN multi-layer construction allows for an easy and comfortable feel and fit on the face.
- LIGHTWEIGHT and FOLDABLE: This lightweight mask allows for folding and easy portability. The flexible nose guard is designed to provide a custom fit to ensure a soft and comfortable fit to reduce skin irritation while the stretchable braided ear bands ensure comfort over long periods of wear time.
- BETTER PROTECTION: This mask is designed to offer more protection than a standard disposable 3-Ply mask. Layers of protection include a Non-Woven Inner Layer, Meltblown Filter, Hot Air Cotton Filter, and Non-Woven Outer Shell.
- This product is not included on the FDA Emergency Use Authorization List, and the CDC has not confirmed its filtration efficiency.
- Anhui Aolixin
Powecom KN95 Face Mask Reusable, Disposable Masks on FDA EUA List, Protection for Dust Pollen, 10 Pack
- Included on FDA Emergency Use Authorization List and manufactured by Guangzhou Powecom Labor Insurance Supplies.
- This KN95 mask is NOT a N95 mask and is an alternative to a N95 mask. For more information about KN95 masks please see the following before you purchase: amazon.com/AboutKN95s
- Multi layered protection against dust, particles and droplets. Filter efficiency 99.2%.
- Flexible elastic ear loops. Compact design, easily disposable. Adjustable nose bridge for a comfortable fit.
Disposable KN95 Face Masks, Non-Woven 5-Layer Disposable Mask, Elastic Ear Loops, Adjustable Nose Wire, Light Weight, Perfect for Office, 5 Units/Bag
- Disclaimer: This Disposable KN95 Non-Medical Face Mask is included on the FDA Emergency Use Authorization List. The FDA sampled and CDC tested a limited number of masks from this manufacturer and found that the filtration efficiency was above 95%.
- Standard: GB2626-2006; Comfortable to fit with elastic ear loops and adjustable nose wire, light weight.
- This is a 5-Layer Non-Medical KN95 Disposable Protective Face Mask. It is not a N95 mask. Please review additional information about KN95 masks amazon.com/AboutKN95s before you purchase.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: Fenrici is committed to providing not only premium quality products to our customers but also top-notch service and 100% satisfaction. If, for any reason, you don’t end up satisfied with the KN95 face masks, let us know and we will issue a replacement or refund. No questions asked.
- YOUR PURCHASE HAS IMPACT: For every product you purchase from Fenrici, we donate 5% of the proceeds to the non-profit organization Global Genes to fund the research and education for childhood rare diseases. We partner with the brave kids and families to share the stories of determination, hope, and selflessness.
Bio-th 5 Ply Protective Face Mask, 5 Layers Cup Dust Safety Masks Pack of 20
- Made of 5 Layer non-woven fabric, Melt-Blown, Moisture-resistant, Non-toxic, Non-irritant, REUSABLE Face Mask
- High density non-woven fabric - nano filtration - filtration - highly breathable non-woven fabric that can prevent dust, car exhaust, pollen etc.
- High level breathing protection, filter efficiency, breathable mesh composite fabric, suitable for all seasons (basically seasonal factors do not need to be considered).
- 3D earrings and lightweight design make breathing easier. High quality elastic earbands make it comfortable to wear for a long time.
- Non-Medical Mask, Pack of 20 Pcs. Kindly Check Size before buying.
NIOSH Certified Makrite 9500-N95 Pre-Formed Cone Particulate Respirator Mask, M/L Size (Case of 240 Masks)
- PERFECT PROTECTION—This NIOSH approved N95 disposable respirator mask from Makrite Industries Inc. is a testament to the quality and reliability of personal protective equipment (NIOSH Approval Number: TC-84A-5411). It provides at least 95% filtration efficiency and reliable breathing protection against aerosols free of oil and/or non-volatile liquid particles.
- EASY TO BREATH—Our premium filter material provides extremely low breathing resistance and full protection to the wearer for at least 8 hours.
- EXCELLENT FIT—The adjustable nosepiece is made of durable aluminum and can be shaped easily along your nose bridge to prevent leakage and eyewear fogging. The high elasticity head-straps ensure a tight and secure seal.
- SOFT & COMFORTABLE—The softness of the surface material gives you a first class experience, and the inner urethane foam gives greater comfort to those who wear it throughout the day.
- USE FOR—Medical Setting Personal Protection, Construction, Home Improvement, Cleaning, Mowing, Gardening, and DIY Projects. BULK CASE PACK Quantity of 240 M/L Size Individual Makrite 9500-N95 Respirator Masks.
Face Mask, Pack of 50
- This mask is not intended for medical use, and not proven to reduce the transmission of disease.
- Pack of 50 masks, these masks should be disposed of after each use
- Each mask comes with an adjustable nose clip and elastic ear loops to ensure a comfortable fit, The masks are hypoallergenic and glass fiber free
- Masks feature 3 layers of filtration: 1 melt-blown polypropylene filtration layer surrounded by 2 non-woven fabric layers
- Imported from china
KN95 5-Ply Face Mask with Elastic Ear Loop, Individually packed in Poly bag, Adult, 5 Count
- 5-PLY DESIGN: 5 layers of fabric that is breathable and non-woven for general use only - not for medical use. LIGHTWEIGHT: overall lightweight structure and design make this face mask easy to wear, carry and store.
- FORM FITTING DESIGN: flexible fit to ensure a soft and comfortable fit to reduce skin irritation.
- EAR LOOP COMFORT: stretchable ear bands ensure comfort over long periods of wear time that is easy to put on and off. BETTER THAN 3-PLY: 5 layers all in one face mask covering used for mouth and nose for any places where required.
- This KN95 mask is NOT an N95 mask. For more information about KN95 masks please see the following before you purchase: amazon.com/AboutKN95s
Its use in various industries
In mining, construction and painting
The N95 mask/mouthpiece was originally designed for industrial use. It is approved for respiratory protection against dusts (including coal, cotton, aluminum, wheat and iron, produced primarily by the disintegration of solids during industrial processes such as: grinding, sanding, crushing and processing of minerals and other materials) and non-oily liquid based mists.
According to NIOSH, N, R, and P series filter masks/masks are recommended for concentrations of hazardous particles that are greater than the occupational exposure limit, but less than the level immediately hazardous to life or health.
For substances hazardous to the eyes, a facemask/mask equipped with a full face shield, helmet or hood is recommended. They should not be worn during fire fighting, in an oxygen deficient atmosphere or in an unknown atmosphere, as in such cases a self-contained breathing apparatus is recommended. Should not be used with hazardous gases or vapours, for which a cartridge mask/mouthpiece is recommended.
In health care
N95 facemasks/mouthpieces used in healthcare are a specific variation of the traditional N95, which is certified by both NIOSH and approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a surgical facemask/mouthpiece. Here is a link to the FDA-approved models of N95 for medical use.
As part of the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, changes were made to liability and certification laws to allow industrial masks/masks to be used in healthcare settings in response to the shortage of masks/masks during the 2019-20 coronavirus pandemic.
In the United States, OSHA requires that health care workers who perform activities on patients suspected or confirmed to be infected with VOC-19 wear respiratory protection, such as an N95 facemask/cap. Unlike an N95 facemask/mouthpiece, a surgical mouthpiece does not have an airtight seal and therefore does not protect the wearer from airborne particles, such as viral material.
Facemasks/mouthpieces with exhalation valves can be used in a healthcare environment when it is not important to maintain a sterile field. Facemasks/mask covers with exhalation valves should not be used in situations where a sterile field is required (e.g., during an invasive procedure in an operating room or procedure) because the exhalation valve allows unfiltered exhaled air to escape into the sterile field.
NIOSH-approved N95 respirators/masks are used to reduce the inhalation of certain airborne biological particles such as mold, Bacillus anthracis, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, etc. Examples of applications may include emergency or pandemic preparedness planning and storage operations.
- Coronavirus N95 Mask Made In The USA
- Niosh N95 Rated Mask Without Exhalation Valve
- Coronavirus N95 Mask With N95/n99 Filters
- N95 Mask With Exhalation Valve And Filters
- N95 Exhalation Valve Mask
Last update 2020-10-18. Price and product availability may change.